World number one Aryna Sabalenka cut short her pre-tournament news conference at Roland Garros on Thursday, becoming the most prominent face of a coordinated player protest over prize money distribution at tennis’s four Grand Slams. Sabalenka, who lifted the Australian Open trophy in January, spoke for just under 15 minutes before standing up and leaving the podium, telling reporters: “I think that’s enough for today, thank you.”
She was followed within hours by Coco Gauff, the 2024 Roland Garros champion, world number two Iga Swiatek, men’s world number one Jannik Sinner and Carlos Alcaraz, the two-time defending champion in Paris. Each capped their media obligations at the same 15-minute threshold, a sharp departure from the 30 to 45-minute sessions typically demanded of top seeds on the eve of a major.
A coordinated stand from the game’s biggest names
The protest follows a letter sent in March by 20 of the world’s top players to the chairmen of the four Grand Slams, requesting a meeting to discuss a larger share of tournament revenue, improved player welfare provisions and a greater say in decision-making. The letter, organised through the Professional Tennis Players Association co-founded by Novak Djokovic, has so far yielded no formal response from the French Tennis Federation, the All England Club, Tennis Australia or the USTA.
Players argue that while Grand Slam revenues have surged – the French Open’s total prize pot rose to €56.3 million this year, a 5.21 per cent increase on 2025 – the proportion paid out to competitors has lagged behind other major sporting events. The NBA distributes roughly 50 per cent of basketball-related income to players. The four majors, according to figures cited by the PTPA, return between 16 and 20 per cent.
“We want to be partners, not employees,” Sinner said in his shortened session, declining to expand further. Gauff, asked whether the action would continue into the tournament itself, replied: “We’ll see how the conversations go. The door is open on our side. It hasn’t been on theirs.”
The numbers behind the dispute
This year’s French Open singles champions will each receive €2.55 million, a record figure that nonetheless represents only a marginal real-terms increase once inflation is factored in. First-round losers will collect €78,000, up from €73,000 in 2025.
- French Open 2026 total prize pool: €56.3 million
- Singles champion’s purse: €2.55 million
- First-round loser’s payment: €78,000
- Estimated tournament revenue (FFT, 2025 accounts): €338 million
- Player share of revenue: approximately 16.6 per cent
By contrast, the players point to the Australian Open, which agreed a 13 per cent prize money increase for 2026 after similar pressure earlier this year, and to Wimbledon, which has committed to opening its books for independent review. Roland Garros has so far declined both. FFT president Gilles Moretton said last month that the federation’s investment in grassroots tennis across France was “not negotiable” and that any redistribution would have to come from “new commercial growth, not existing programmes”.
What comes next for the players and the majors
The 15-minute cap is symbolic rather than industrial – players are contractually obliged to attend pre-tournament media but the duration is loosely defined – and tournament organisers cannot fine those who comply with the minimum. That technical loophole was identified by lawyers working with the PTPA, and is why the action has been able to proceed without immediate sanction.
The bigger question is whether the protest extends into the fortnight itself. Post-match press conferences are governed by stricter rules, with fines of up to $20,000 (£15,800) available to officials. Djokovic was fined $10,000 at the 2022 US Open for skipping a post-match session and Naomi Osaka withdrew from the 2021 French Open after a similar dispute over mandatory media duties.
Sabalenka begins her campaign on Sunday against Spanish qualifier Cristina Bucsa. Should she progress, her next media commitment will be a more rigorous test of the players’ resolve than Thursday’s choreographed walkout. Alcaraz, seeded second, opens against Italy’s Flavio Cobolli on Monday. Gauff and Swiatek are both in action on Sunday afternoon.
For Roland Garros officials, the optics are unwelcome on the eve of what is meant to be a celebration of clay-court tennis. For the players, the calculation is simpler: a sport that generates record audiences and record sponsorship has, in their view, not adjusted its economics to match. The next move belongs to the tournament chairmen who have, so far, said nothing.













