Max Verstappen’s audacious debut at the Nurburgring 24-Hours ended in heartbreak on Sunday afternoon, as a mechanical failure on his Ferrari 296 GT3 wiped out a podium charge with less than three hours remaining. The four-time Formula 1 world champion had hauled his Emil Frey Racing entry from 31st on the grid to inside the top five before the right-rear suspension gave way on the run through the Hatzenbach esses, ending one of the most-watched endurance debuts in the race’s 53-year history.
Verstappen, sharing the car with Chris Lulham, Thierry Vermeulen and Ferrari factory driver Alessandro Pier Guidi, had set the fastest lap of the race overnight — a 7:58.4 around the 25.378km combined Nordschleife and Grand Prix circuit — and was running fourth when the issue struck. The car limped back to the pits, but with the chassis damage deemed unrepairable inside the regulation window, the entry was withdrawn at 12:47 local time.
A debut that delivered before it broke
For a driver who had only completed his Nordschleife permit weekend three weeks ago, Verstappen’s pace was the story of the race long before the retirement. He took over for his first stint shortly after midnight in heavy rain and dropped the car from 19th to ninth in 14 laps, passing GT3 regulars including Kelvin van der Linde and Maro Engel in conditions that veteran endurance drivers described as the worst Eifel weather in five years.
By dawn the #31 Ferrari was running fifth, and Verstappen’s second stint — a triple in clearing conditions — moved the car into a genuine podium fight with the works Manthey Porsche of Kevin Estre and the Rowe BMW shared by Augusto Farfus. Team principal Lorenz Frey said afterwards the car was “absolutely on for a top-three” before the failure. Telemetry reviewed by the team pointed to a kerb strike at Flugplatz on the previous lap as the likely trigger.
What the result means for Verstappen’s endurance plans
The Dutchman has been open about his ambition to contest Le Mans within the next three seasons, and the Nurburgring entry was widely read inside the paddock as a calibration exercise rather than a one-off. Sources close to his management confirmed earlier this month that talks with Ferrari’s Hypercar programme have taken place, though no contract is signed. A finish — particularly a podium — would have strengthened his hand considerably.
Three factors emerge from the weekend that still play in his favour:
- His race pace was within two-tenths of the factory Ferrari drivers across every stint, including the wet
- He completed 41 racing laps of the Nordschleife without a single off, a record several full-time N24 drivers failed to match
- His qualifying lap on Friday was the fourth-quickest in the SP9 Pro class, ahead of multiple ex-DTM champions
“The disappointment is obvious, but what Max showed in 18 hours of running is more important than the result,” Pier Guidi told German broadcaster Sport1. “He drove like someone who has done ten of these races. The speed was never in question.”
The bigger picture for the Nurburgring 24
The retirement reshapes a race that Verstappen’s presence had already transformed commercially. Organisers ADAC reported a sold-out spectator capacity of 235,000 for the first time since 2019, and German free-to-air broadcaster Nitro recorded a peak audience of 1.94 million during his opening night stint — more than triple the equivalent slot in 2025.
Victory ultimately went to the #911 Manthey EMA Porsche of Estre, Thomas Preining, Ayhancan Guven and Laurens Vanthoor, the team’s seventh win in nine years. But the post-race press conference was dominated by questions about whether Verstappen will return. He answered them himself before leaving the circuit: “Of course I come back. This place owes me something now.”
For Formula 1, the implications are minor — Verstappen is back in the Red Bull cockpit at Imola next weekend, with a 31-point championship lead intact. For sportscar racing, however, his commitment to returning is the more consequential outcome. The Nurburgring 24 has not had a draw of his magnitude in a generation, and a confirmed second attempt in 2027 would be the most significant boost the race has received since its inclusion in the Intercontinental GT Challenge.













