‘Not mentally doable to stay like this’ – Verstappen renews quit threat

Pregnancy Fitness: Soldiers stay mentally and physically fitStaff Sgt. Anibal Avina, senior Stryker maintainer assigned to Company B, 501st Brigade Support Battalion, 1st Armored Division, takes role call during the Pregnancy Postpartum Physical Training program at Stout Track and Field Complex in Fort Bliss, Texas, Jan. 27, 2012. Avina is an instructor trainer for the PPPT program, and he is from Napa, Calif.
3 min read  •  750 words

Max Verstappen has issued his starkest warning yet about his Formula 1 future, telling reporters in the Montreal paddock on Friday that it is “not mentally doable to stay like this” if planned reforms to the sport’s 2026 power-unit regulations are scrapped. The four-time world champion, who is contracted to Red Bull until the end of 2028, said he would walk away at the end of the current season should the FIA’s discussions over reintroducing a louder, more driver-led engine formula collapse.

Verstappen’s threat — his third in 18 months — came hours before final practice for the Canadian Grand Prix, where he sits third in the drivers’ standings behind McLaren pair Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri. Asked whether he was bluffing, the 28-year-old was emphatic. “I’m not playing games. If the cars stay this heavy, this quiet and this dependent on energy management, I’m done. There are other things in motorsport that still feel like racing.”

What has triggered the latest ultimatum

The FIA’s technical working group met in Geneva on Wednesday to debate accelerating a move away from the current 1.6-litre V6 hybrids, which were introduced this season alongside a 50-50 split between internal combustion and electrical power. Manufacturers are divided. Audi, Honda and Mercedes have publicly backed the existing rules, into which they have sunk an estimated combined €1.4bn of development. Ferrari and Red Bull Powertrains have lobbied for a simpler, lighter V8 or V10 formula running on sustainable fuel from 2029.

Verstappen, who has won three races so far in 2026, has been vocal about the new cars’ 798kg minimum weight and the need to lift and coast on roughly 40 percent of laps to avoid running out of deployable energy. “We’re driving to a delta on a screen, not to the limit of the car,” he said. “In Imola I was managing battery from lap five. That isn’t Formula 1 to me.”

His comments echo those made by Fernando Alonso in Bahrain in March and by Lewis Hamilton during the Miami weekend, but Verstappen is the first frontline driver to publicly tie his continued participation to a regulatory outcome. FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem responded on Friday evening, telling Sky Sports F1 that “no driver, no matter how decorated, dictates the technical direction of this championship”, while adding that the governing body was “listening carefully” to driver feedback.

How serious is the threat

Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies, who replaced Christian Horner in January, refused to be drawn on whether Verstappen’s contract contains a performance-related exit clause, but conceded the situation was “delicate”. Sources within the team confirm a clause permits Verstappen to leave at the end of any season in which he finishes outside the top three — a scenario currently in play, with Norris 41 points clear and Piastri 28 ahead heading into Sunday’s race.

Verstappen has previously flirted with departure. In November 2024 he suggested he could retire by 30, and in Singapore last September he warned he would “find something else” if the cars became “even more electric”. What is new is the timeline. The Dutchman explicitly named the end of 2026 as his deadline, a date that would coincide with the FIA’s next concept review and with his father Jos Verstappen’s stated wish that his son “doesn’t stay one year too long”.

Asked what he would do instead, Verstappen mentioned the Le Mans 24 Hours, where he is already entered for 2027 with Aston Martin’s Valkyrie hypercar programme, and a possible NASCAR Cup outing at Watkins Glen. He also confirmed he had spoken to Toyota about World Rally Championship testing.

What it means for the championship and the sport

  • Red Bull’s commercial value is heavily tied to Verstappen. Oracle’s title sponsorship, worth a reported $90m a year, includes a clause linked to the Dutchman’s participation through 2027.
  • Mercedes are understood to have re-opened informal contact with Verstappen’s manager Raymond Vermeulen, viewing the threat as leverage rather than a definitive exit.
  • Liberty Media chief executive Derek Chang told investors last month that Verstappen drove a 19 percent uplift in US viewership for races he won. His departure would land in the middle of the next Concorde Agreement cycle, due to be signed off in October.

The next flashpoint comes at the World Motor Sport Council meeting in Lausanne on 26 June, when the engine reform proposal is expected to be tabled formally. Verstappen will not attend. He will, however, be racing in Spielberg the same weekend — for now.

Ahmad Ali
Written by
Ahmad Ali

Sports journalist and editor at SportsPortal.net. Covers cricket, football, Formula 1, tennis, and basketball with a focus on how global sports connect with Pakistani audiences. Follows the PSL, Pakistan national cricket team, Premier League, and major international tournaments. Has reported on sports for digital audiences since 2021.

55 articles published