‘Leader’ Sainz commits to Williams with new deal

'Leader' Sainz commits to Williams with new deal
3 min read  •  822 words

Carlos Sainz has signed a new multi-year contract with Williams, tying the Spaniard to the Grove team into 2027 and beyond at the lowest point of his 18 months there. Williams confirmed the deal on Wednesday 19 August 2026, a day after Alex Albon agreed his own extension for 2027, completing the line-up for a team currently ninth of 11 in the constructors’ championship with 11 points from 11 rounds.

“He is a leader of this team, and I’m thrilled that he can see what’s possible as we continue to rebuild it,” team principal James Vowles said. “From the moment he joined, Carlos’ talent behind the steering wheel and dedication back at the factory have been extremely valuable for this project — working day in, day out with his engineers to find every millisecond.”

A commitment made from ninth place

The timing is the story. Sainz arrived at Williams for 2025 after Ferrari replaced him with Lewis Hamilton, endured a scratchy adaptation period, then finished the year strongly with podiums in Azerbaijan and Qatar as Williams took fifth in the constructors’ standings — their best result since 2017.

The 2026 regulations reset has undone all of it. Williams missed the Barcelona shakedown after development delays, produced a car that was overweight from the first test, and have scored 11 points in 11 races. Sainz has six of them; Albon has five, with a best finish of eighth in Monaco. Only two teams sit below them.

Sainz has not softened the assessment. “We’ve come up with a car that is late, a car that is overweight and a car without downforce, which in Formula 1 terms is everything that you want to achieve in a car,” he said. His reasoning for staying anyway was character rather than data: “I believe in the project. I said that from the beginning. I don’t think it’s part of my character to jump ships when the situation is also at its worst.”

In the team’s announcement he added: “I truly believe in the people that form this team, both at the factory and at the racetracks, and the investments and hard work that are happening in the background. We have what it takes to turn this around together. I’m as committed as I was on day one to helping get Williams back to where it belongs.”

Why Vowles needed this signature

Williams have not won a race since Spain 2012 and have not been a genuine front-running operation since the mid-1990s. Vowles arrived from Mercedes in 2023 selling a long-horizon rebuild — new infrastructure, new processes, an end to the spreadsheet-era working practices he inherited — with the 2026 rules change as the target date. That target has been missed, publicly and comprehensively.

Losing an established race winner in the middle of that would have been the clearest possible verdict on the project from inside the garage. Instead, Vowles has both drivers under contract and the pressure that had been building on him eased. Between them, Sainz and Albon bring more than 370 grand prix starts, over 1,600 points and 31 podiums — one of the most experienced pairings on the grid, and an unusual asset for a team ranked ninth.

The two deals are not identical, and the difference matters. Sainz has signed multi-year. Albon committed only through 2027. “I want to see a reaction, I want to see what the team can deliver, I want to see a strong bounce back,” Albon said. “There’s a few things this year that we’ve let slip.”

What happens next

Both drivers have already conceded Williams will not hit their 2026 targets, and the recovery plan is explicit about the trade-off. “The best chance we have of that is to also sacrifice this year and focus on next year’s car,” Albon said — meaning resources shift to 2027 while the current car is largely left as it is.

That makes next season the referendum. 2027 is Williams’ 50th anniversary year, and the second season under the current rules, historically where teams that misread a regulation change begin to recover. The key markers to watch:

  • Whether the 2027 car arrives on time and on weight — the two failures that defined 2026
  • Whether Williams close the downforce deficit Sainz identified, or carry it into a second season
  • Whether Albon extends again beyond 2027, the clearest internal signal of belief

Sainz, at 31, has bet the remainder of his prime on the answer. He has four grand prix wins and no realistic route back to a top seat; Williams have a driver willing to stay through the worst of it. Both now need the same thing from Grove.

Sources: [Sky Sports](https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/13574716/carlos-sainz-williams-driver-signs-multi-year-contract-extension-to-remain-with-team-in-2027-and-beyond), [ESPN](https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/49658679/carlos-sainz-extends-williams-stay-new-contract), [TSN](https://www.tsn.ca/motorsports/formula-1/article/sainz-albon-reveal-motivations-for-williams-contract-extensions-n1-49670685/), [Formula1.com](https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article/sainz-agrees-new-multi-year-contract-with-williams-as-team-complete-2027-driver-line-up.66fBQTFaXXt7oIUfzi8NiO), [Crash.net](https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1102088/1/williams-2026-f1-plight-eye-opener-after-it-overachieved-2025)

**Note on one detail:** ESPN’s report indicates the deal runs through 2028; Williams and Sky describe it only as “multi-year,” so I kept the article to the confirmed wording rather than naming an end year.

Ahmad Ali
Written by
Ahmad Ali

Sports journalist and editor at SportsPortal.net. Covers cricket, football, Formula 1, tennis, and basketball with a focus on how global sports connect with Pakistani audiences. Follows the PSL, Pakistan national cricket team, Premier League, and major international tournaments. Has reported on sports for digital audiences since 2021.

636 articles published